Friday 11 July 2014

By The Beach Festival: THE DRESS!




Okay so to say I've been gone a while is an understatement... I sincerely apologise and offer an explanation... I did some marrying! Hooray! Yes, we had a pretty crazy run up to our wedding in May, and since then it's been non-stop into festival season too so we've been pretty busy as you can imagine. However, I wanted to save up stuff to make a series of wedding related posts as I've got quite a lot of people to thank and suppliers to mention! They'll be coming as soon as I can churn them out and photos are mostly courtesy of our lovely Photographer and friend Rob Ball (go look at his site, he's rad, but we'll talk about him later too!)

So there was a loose 'festival' theme to our wedding, as you know I've been a festival journo and photographer for a fair few years now, and Alex has been on pretty much all of those adventures with me (as well as having worked festival security himself while he was at uni) so it made sense to give our friends and family a taste of what we love and celebrate in a way we felt at home with.

So here's 'THE DRESS' edition of By The Beach Festival 2014 (aka, our wedding!)

The Dress!

I'm not at all the kind of girl who ever dreamed about what kind of dress I would wear on my wedding day. I didn't even wear dresses until I was about 16! I always knew this was going to be tough, and I absolutely didn't want to go to a place that was going to do the whole 'everyone fawns all over you, the assistants cry when they see you, they call you darling' type of thing. I would hate that. 

Luckily serendipity (and a bit of online research by Mum) took us to Birmingham and into the hands of the extremely talented Jo and Co. at The Couture Company. I had found a safe haven in the world of weddings. Jo is down to earth and knows exactly what will suit you right from the off, The Couture Company create bespoke wedding gowns as well as some rather saucy corsetry from their shop at The Custard Factory. With some design work, chatting about what I'd like, looking at fabrics and a few fittings - I was presented with the most exciting thing I've ever worn...


I knew I didn't want a stark white dress, so after some expert fabric picking from my Mum and Jo, I settled on an ivory with a kind of honey coloured net underneath, and way way underneath is actually a blue underskirt to match the bow! The lace overlay continues from the waist over the hips and down into the dress, and I specifically asked for kind of drop waist on the dress so that I didn't look all short in the top (those dresses that cut off from just below the bra always make me look really frumpcious. It's a neologism.)


The bow was inspired by one we saw in Jo's shop, I just loved the idea of adding a pop of colour to the dress, much more my style! I've always liked the look of buttons down the back of a dress, and luckily I had helpful bridesmaids to do them all up for me ;) 

The length was the first thing I knew was a must - our wedding reception was in Tipi tents in a field and we had photos done on the beach, nothing floor length for me, and I absolutely loved being able to move around freely and comfortably on the day - playing games and dancing without worrying about tripping over it or it getting on the floor at all. Plus one major bonus of a shorter wedding dress: being able to go to the loo by yourself! I've heard all kinds of horror stories from helpful bridesmaids trying to keep the dress out of the toilet or having to be party to things they should never be party to... ha!

So a huge thanks to Jo and The Couture Company for making me a dress that I truly felt special, comfortable and probably most importantly to me, like myself, in. Another huge thanks goes to my Mum who played devil's advocate, helped at all the fittings, did the research and made sure I got something I was completely happy with!

www.the-couture-company.co.uk

xxx


 

No comments:

Post a Comment